Built in 1838 in Carlton Hill, it was an Anglican church for most of its life: dedicated to St John the Evangelist. After some uncertainty about its future, it was sold to Brighton’s Greek Orthodox community in 1985 and has been used as their permanent place of worship since then. Reflecting its architectural and historical importance, it has been listed at Grade II since 1971.
Since the Greek Orthodox community acquired the building, some interior alterations have been made, including the installation of a new altar screen. It has been licensed for worship in accordance with the Places of Worship Registration Act 1855 and has the registration number 79056.